What’s a UX writer? Let’s explore this by looking how “the greats” define it; look at the job descriptions from the technology leaders of today. I pulled this one from Spotify’s LinkedIn job page. Funny enough, this description is a better example of a well-written job description compared to what Apple recently published.
You’re a great fit for this role if you:
- Are passionate about creating great user experiences—you anticipate user needs and always advocate for them.
- Can create concepts on the fly and collaborate with anyone to get things done.
- Love both strategy and hands-on writing and editing.
- Thrive in a fast-paced organization.
- Are excited about building things that bring artists and fans together.
What You’ll Do
- Write clear, consistent, concise product copy (onboarding, notifications, purchase flows, error messages, in-app upsells, and more).
- Collaborate with designers, researchers, product managers, and engineers to create meaningful, human experiences.
- Effectively manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Know your product area inside and out and show how your content recommendations fit with product goals.
- Find smart ways to use data and research to evaluate and improve content.
- Create and help maintain writing guidelines that are in line with Spotify’s brand and voice.
- Develop messaging with an eye toward accessibility and localizing for different markets.
- Recommend product names and messaging for new products.
- Partner with our brand, marketing, localization, editorial, and customer service teams to create a cohesive experience.
- Champion the value of UX writing among other teams at Spotify.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience writing or editing for the web and mobile experiences.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Native fluency in written and verbal English.
Please provide a portfolio of work that shows a range of content you’ve created, such as interaction flows, emails, product tours, and style guides.We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.