Today I stumbled upon another UX Writer job description—this one from Netflix. It’s thorough, and a nice description of the role.
We are seeking an experienced writer who specializes in UX and microcopy everything from text buttons and menus to labels, error messages and more. The ideal candidate is highly creative and collaborative, relentlessly focused on the user experience, and able to clearly articulate how and why to add personality to UI text — and when not to. You will plan, innovate, write and test interface and navigational language within the Netflix product on a variety of platforms. You’ll think and do, joining a small team that is defining, maintaining and evolving writing standards for the product. You will work on several design projects at once, providing concepting, content strategy and writing from early prototyping through final execution. You will partner with designers, product managers, researchers and engineers as an expert on voice and writing. Your focus will be on in-product experiences. You’ll audit the current website, TVUI and mobile experiences for opportunities to create consistency, efficiency and delight. You’ll be expected to provide high-level strategy and hands-on writing, placing each project within an overarching brand framework. You will also partner with our Globalization team to ensure that the text we create speaks to members around the world.
We’re looking for someone who is great in teams but is also pro-active and self-directed. You will look for opportunities to join existing projects and elevate the quality of their communication. You will initiate your own innovation projects and should be comfortable advocating for your point of view in our candid, feedback-driven culture.
- 5+ years copywriting experience, or UX design experience with a writing focus
- Demonstrable creativity
- A passion for the challenge of writing within space constraints
- Excellent project management skills
- Experience working with global brands required
- Experience partnering with digital design teams required
- Experience working with consumer insights research and executing on findings preferred
- Experience with AB testing structure and execution required
- Ability to work in a highly cross-functional team
- Ability to think analytically about customer journeys and content flows
- Have demonstrable design literacy, including fluency in design tools